MMS Catch Cans FAQ!
What is a catch can and what CAN it do for me?
A catch can, also known as an oil catch can or air/oil separator, is an aftermarket device installed in a car's PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system. Its primary function is to capture and separate oil vapors and other contaminants from the engine's crankcase gases before they can be recirculated back into the intake system. Here are some of the benefits of using a catch can on a car:
1. Prevents Engine Deposits: A catch can helps prevent the accumulation of oil and contaminants in the intake manifold, throttle body, and valves. Without a catch can, these substances can build up over time, leading to carbon deposits and reduced engine performance.
2. Maintains Engine Efficiency: By removing oil vapors and contaminants from the intake system, a catch can helps maintain optimal air-fuel mixture ratios. This, in turn, can improve engine efficiency, throttle response, and overall performance. In high-performance or turbocharged engines, increased crankcase pressures can cause oil blow-by, where oil is forced past the piston rings into the combustion chamber. A catch can intercepts this oil and prevents it from entering the intake system, reducing the chances of oil buildup in the combustion chamber and maintaining cleaner combustion.
3. Reduces Carbon Buildup: The installation of a catch can helps reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves. Carbon deposits on the valves can hinder airflow, disrupt combustion, and potentially lead to engine misfires or reduced power. A catch can helps mitigate carbon buildup, promoting smoother engine operation.
4. Extends Engine Life: By preventing the buildup of harmful substances in the intake system, a catch can helps keep the engine internals cleaner. This can result in reduced wear and tear on critical engine components, potentially extending the engine's lifespan.
5. Enhances Long-Term Reliability: With cleaner intake components, the risk of valve sticking or other related issues can be reduced. This promotes better long-term reliability and reduces the likelihood of costly repairs down the line.
6. Improves Oil Life: By drawing combustion vapors out of the crankcase and into the intake system, a catch can helps maintain the quality and viscosity of the engine oil. This can result in longer oil life and better lubrication for the engine.
7. Preserves Intake System Performance: A catch can prevents the accumulation of oil and contaminants in the intake system, including the intercooler (if applicable). This helps preserve the performance of components such as the intercooler, intake manifold, and sensors, ensuring they operate optimally.
8. Facilitates Maintenance: Catch cans are designed to be easily accessible and serviceable. Regular maintenance involves emptying and cleaning the catch can, which allows for the inspection of collected substances and ensures proper functionality of the system. This can contribute to the overall maintenance and care of the engine.
It's important to note that the specific benefits of a catch can may vary depending on the car's make and model, as well as the driving conditions and maintenance practices. Additionally, the installation and maintenance of a catch can should be done following the manufacturer's instructions or by consulting a professional to ensure proper functionality and avoid any potential issues.
The MightyMouse PCV system catch can is the first of its kind to dual purpose high power handling airflow control with extremely efficient air oil separation, making it a popular choice among car enthusiasts and professional mechanics alike.
Where does a catch can go and how CAN I install it?
Installing a MightyMouse catch can PCV system involves several steps. Here's a general guide to help you through the process:
Note: It's important to refer to the specific installation instructions provided by MightyMouse or consult a professional if you are unsure about any step.
1. Gather the necessary tools and components: Make sure you have all the required tools and components for the installation, including the MightyMouse catch can, mounting brackets, hoses, clamps, fittings, and any other items specified in the instructions.
2. Locate the PCV system: Identify the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system in your vehicle. It is typically connected to the valve covers and the intake system.
3. Determine the catch can placement: Choose a suitable location to mount the catch can. It should be easily accessible for maintenance and away from sources of excessive heat. Common mounting areas include the engine bay, firewall, or fender well.
4. Install the catch can: Use the provided mounting brackets to secure the catch can in the chosen location. Ensure it is securely mounted to prevent movement or damage.
5. Identify the PCV hoses: Locate the PCV hoses that connect the PCV system to the intake manifold or valve covers. These hoses are responsible for routing crankcase gases back into the engine.
6. Disconnect existing hoses: Carefully disconnect the existing PCV hoses from the intake manifold or valve covers. Be cautious not to damage any components during the process.
7. Install the catch can in-line: Connect one end of a new hose to the PCV valve or port on the engine. Connect the other end to the inlet port of the catch can. Use appropriate fittings and clamps to ensure a secure connection.
8. Connect the outlet port: Connect another hose to the outlet port of the catch can. The other end of this hose should be connected to the intake manifold or valve cover fitting from which you initially removed the PCV hose.
9. Secure all connections: Double-check all connections to ensure they are properly tightened and secured with clamps. Avoid overtightening, as it may damage the components or cause leaks.
10. Test the system: Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check for any leaks, unusual sounds, or vibrations. If everything appears to be in order, proceed to the final step.
11. Finalize the installation: Once you have confirmed that the catch can PCV system is functioning correctly, tidy up the installation by securing any loose wires or hoses, and ensure that the catch can and hoses are clear of any moving parts or obstacles.
It is essential to follow the specific instructions provided by MightyMouse for your catch can system, as there may be variations or additional steps required based on your vehicle model and the specific product you have purchased.
MMS Catch Cans Helper guide!
Just a couple painless questions that CAN help you decide exactly what you need!
Also please see the Instructions and Installations link at the bottom for more info, as well as ask facebook and message boards about installs specific to MM cans ONLY.